Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Mizrah

My Dearest DD,

You will recognize the mizrah in the photo as the very same one that has been placed on Goodie's east wall in Enid and now in Temple. Mizrah (Hebrew: "east") is the direction to be faced during prayer. It is our custom to hang an ornament to help each member of the family to remember to pray and to face east while praying.

The mizrah in my living room was crocheted when your mother was expecting you and will someday be yours for your very own home. I used a size 8 steel filet crochet needle and beige filet thread. The style is what I call negative which only means that the letters are open and the background is solid. 


Hebrew words are read from right to left. This word is Shalom. Shalom is what I pray for my family.

This mizrah was carved by your Pop Pop and is one of my special treasures.

With all of my heart, Goodie

No comments:

Post a Comment