Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Challah Cover

My Dearest DD,

On Friday evenings at sundown we welcome the Sabbath by lighting candles, drinking wine, eating challah, and reciting special prayers. I crocheted this challah cover many years ago when your mother was still a young girl. I used filet crochet thread and a steel size 5 filet crochet needle. I call this style "positive" because the letters are solid and the background is open. The Hebrew word is Shabbot and is read from right to left.


I no longer use this challah cover, but keep it in my curio with the other Shabbot elements. This cover will go with your mother when she is ready for it, and then to you my darling.

With all of my heart, Goodie

4 comments:

  1. I would love to make this for my nephews bar mitzvah next month. Do you have a pattern?
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry Nancy, I don't have a pattern. I looked up the letters and just started crocheting.

      Delete